Quick Guide to the SharePoint Migration Tool from Microsoft
Today, Microsoft released a new FREE SharePoint Migration Tool. With this free new tool you can:
- Copy files from a SharePoint 2013 On-Prem Document Library to OneDrive or SharePoint Online
- Copy files from a file share to OneDrive or SharePoint Online
Who’s it for?
- The End User/Power User/IT Pro who has several documents on a file share or SharePoint 2013 on-prem environment that they need to migrate to the cloud.
- Those who have the above need and don’t want to write a PowerShell Script or purchase a migration tool in order to move documents.
Who’s it NOT for?
- Those needing to migrate data from legacy on-prem SharePoint versions (2003, 2007, 2010).
- Those who need to migrate gargantuan SharePoint On-Prem Farms with multiple lists/libraries, custom code, branding, etc
|SharePoint Migration Tool|
|Select Source Screen|
What SharePoint Versions is it compatible with?
The SharePoint Migration Tool only supports SharePoint Server 2013 or above. It will not work with older versions of SharePoint.
What kind of content can I migrate?
This tool is only for migrating documents. You cannot migrate SharePoint List Content with this tool.
What access rights do I need to use the tool?
You don’t have to be a global administrator to use the tool. You only need write access to the site where you are migrating the data.
How does it handle permissions?
If migrating from a file share, the files with inherit the permissions from the source library. If migrating from SharePoint 2013 On-Prem, if you want custom permissions to be mapped you will need to provide a user mapping file. If no user mapping file is provided then files will be assigned the default permissions of the library you are migrating to.
What are the requirements to run the tool?